Once a year, during the month of September, Nederburg winery in Paarl becomes the focal point of the South African fine wine business. It is here, at the annual Nederburg Auction, that the country’s best wines and wine personalities come together to present a prestigious showcase of carefully curated vintages for local and international fine wine buyers.
Known to be the oldest auction in the New World of wine, the Nederburg Auction is the industry platform of choice for buying South Africa’s most rare and sought-after wines. It is a unique, exclusive opportunity for local and international buyers to experience the pinnacle of the country’s finest, matured vintages, many of which are not available on the open market.
The Nederburg Auction:
- Is recognised as one of the world’s five major wine auctions – alongside the auctions of Hospices de Beaune in France and Kloster Eberbach in Germany.
- Is accessible by invitation only. All prospective buyers must register in order to be eligible for a ticket.
- Structures its lots to give buyers flexibility in purchasing wines to suit individual volume requirements.
- Is open to all local South African producers, who have the opportunity to submit their best vintages to be selected for auction by an international panel of wine judges.
- Has a special focus on promoting older South African wines, prompted by its commitment to the preservation and continuation of South Africa’s rich, rare wine heritage.
- Strives to invest in excellence as South Africa’s leading platform for the sale of rare, premium wines, providing the opportunity for their fair and equitable distribution.